Thursday, November 20, 2008

Class

I sent President Bush a copy of my novel (now available on Amazon's Kindle), The Big Bang.

He is the hero, after all.

I received a short note in the mail. It was pre-printed, small (4 x 6, maybe) on thick, cream-colored stock, with a White House seal embossed on it.

It read:

"Thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate your kind gesture, and I am grateful for your support.

"It has been an honor and a joyous experience to be President of the greatest country on earth.

"May God bless you, and may God bless America."

It was signed (probably by machine) with what might have been "George."

What I thought was classy was the line "an honor and a joyous experience." Any cynic worth his bile would say that was a polled, focus-group tested creation, but it rang honestly with me. If you look at the man (as The Anchoress has done at length), you see it is of a piece with who the man is.

People are going to miss President Bush. History will judge him far more kindly than our Masters in the Media. Doubt me? Read "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The press was vicious to President Lincoln (you know, that guy who supposedly influences Obama. Tho Obama has yet to show a trace of Lincoln's honesty).

Take a moment to pray today. Just say thanks.

No comments: