Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What is wrong with America, Part I

I’ll probably have to break this up into a few posts as I mull it over. I want to have suggestions, as well. I don’t want to devolve into “oh, woe, it is all wormword and gall!”

I believe that all our ills in America, if not the world, stem from this single primary cause:

There is a deep spiritual emptiness in our culture.

Can you see it? I see it in the ways people continually strive to continually distract themselves: iPods, talking on cell phones, watching television, Internet…all of it chatter that keeps us from listening to the still silent voice.

Can you see it when you look around? America is one of the fattest countries on earth: not because we’re lazy, I think, but because we try to fill the emptiness we feel with food.

Can you hear it in the pop songs? “I was nothing until you.” “You complete me.” “You are the sunshine of my life.” All of those could equally be hymns of praise and longing, not silly love songs.

Later, we'll look at how this spiritual emptiness ripples through our country.

No comments: